Monday, March 9, 2009

A Shield And Refuge-Auction Donations

Imagine knowing that at any day, your husband could come home to you and tell you that he is taking another wife, that you are to bless the new marriage yourself (you literally have to be in the wedding ceremony), and that you are to live with this new wife, get along, and trust that this is the only way you are going to earn your position in heaven. Now imagine her sleeping in your bed, having your husband's children, and trying to not think constantly about the jealousy you feel towards your sister-wife, the anger you feel towards your husband whom you desperately just want to love only you, and the resentment you feel towards God having been told He condones this and in fact requires it for admission into heaven. Fear, despair, loneliness, and extreme sorrow are just a few of the emotions that flood my mind when I think of it. Women and children live with these emotions flooding their hearts every day. They live in a polygamist community.

There are many misconceptions about polygamy. Some include believing that all these women and children have chosen this life and are free to leave. While some have, that is simply not true for many of them. They grow up their whole lives believing polygamy is the only way they will get into heaven. It is a fear tactic that works. The women (really, children themselves) are often married before any chance of escape. Often times at 13, 14 or 15 years of age. Many of them are threatened with extreme beatings or even death if they leave. And woe to the mother who tries to leave as she is often confronted with the decision of whether or not she will be able to sneak all her children out or be able to pay for court hearings when the father finds her and sues her for custody. Many of them live through emotional, physical, and sometimes sexual abuse every day believing there is no way out except to forfeit their soul.

In the Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 266, Brigham young said: "Now, if any of you will deny the plurality of wives, and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned."

My mom and I, along with the help of family and friends, are holding a luncheon to benefit A Shield and Refuge, an organization committed to helping those are trying to flee this life and have no where to turn. What we are asking for at this time are donations to the silent auction. Last year, we had about fifteen people come and we managed to raise over $1,000.00 towards aiding women, children, and young men to leave their abusive community and false doctrines of who God is.

Like I said, not all want to leave...but those who do find the process overwhelming and emotionally distressing, not to mention next to impossible. Why is it so hard to leave? These compounds or communities tend to have their own network of law enforcement. They are essentially watched all day long and as in many groups of people, news travels fast...especially if it's bad news. Many women are caught trying to leave before they have even left the gate, so to speak. A Shield and Refuge has connections and sensitivities to this special kind of 'escape' as the founder was an escapee herself. Doris Hanson is contacted via emails and phone calls from those who have either found her website or heard of her and are seeking her help. Here are a few prayer requests and comments from her monthly newsletter:

"Pray for Anita, she claims she's leaving the polygamy group but hates God, doesn't even believe in Him, yet she's going to join the Mormon Church because it will be good for her and her children. She needs opened eyes, heart and mind, and I need an opportunity to talk with her privately."

"Please pray for Ellen and Mary. We are helping these two women leave a polygamist group. Children are involved and things are rather 'heated' currently as details are getting worked out."

"God continues to encourage us with responses and requests for information about life outside of polygamy. Yet the process for them to leave can be long and terrifying. We wait and pray as God continues to do in their hearts what is necessary to give them the courage to make the decision of their lifetime: that is to escape the only life they know into a world they know little about."

If you would like to donate an item for our silent auction, please leave a comment and enable your email so that I can contact you. The luncheon is on May 30th, so if you're in the area, please save the date! It's loads of fun and benefits a cause that is so often overlooked but one that is here on our own turf! It's an amazing opportunity to reach people who have heard a twisted gospel that sounds nothing like the 'good news' it's supposed to be. "...for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me." 1 Corinthians 9:16-17

Thank you for reading this and may God bless you!

Carrie

If you would like to learn more about A Shield and Refuge and their ministry, please visit their website.

If you have any questions for me regarding polygamists or the luncheon, please leave them in the comments and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

7 comments:

Lora said...

I will donate a spa manicure set for the auction.

Beck said...

I have a scrapbookking basket already put together for this!!! I am thinking of some other things too! b:)

Brooke said...

Call me and remind me about this later so we can chat about it!

Carrie said...

Thank guys! Those are great!

Unknown said...

I have this really cute elephant rocker that has never been used (might have tags on it still). Let me know if you could use this for the auction?

Carrie said...

I could, thanks Jessica!

Unknown said...

Let me know when you need it by Carrie and I can get it over to you :)