Can you believe that????
He said, "There's no way you're allergic to cats!" And then proceeded to give me the evil eye. As if i would make this stuff up! (Alright, alright! I've tried it before...but this time I really didn't make it up!)
Humph. How does he know, anyway?
I don't want to euthanize them or anything! Gosh! Cats are fine...as long as they belong and live with someone else!
I'm not quite sure what made me such a hater, except that when we were first married, I was trying SO hard to keep a clean house and make it comfortable for visitors and guests to come over. It was next to impossible with the cats! They were constantly ON furniture or counter tops, leaving their mark of hair or getting into our food. Heaven forbid we left food on the table for five minutes with our backs turned because they were in it. They were the source of MOST of our arguments the first year we were married. He didn't see why it was a big deal and I was frustrated that he wasn't understanding how I felt about it. Eventually, it just ended up that I didn't trust them. Ever. I never left food out, I was constantly wiping down the counters because I was constantly finding cat hair on them, and I LOATHED the hair balls all over every corner in the house. I felt like we were living in filth, even though I knew how much I cleaned. (The funny thing is...my mother-in-law has cats and I only occasionally see that stuff in her house and it doesn't bother me nearly the same!) Well, obviously, it ended up that we didn't have people over a lot. It was stressful for me and embarrassing to invite them over on the spur of the moment and then come home to a mess the cats had made or needing to wipe down the furniture. I know...most people probably wouldn't think twice about it, BUT I DO IN MY HOUSE.
Clutter is one thing...but dirt and hair is a completely different subject for me. I never seemed to be able to get ahead. And when we had kids....oh boy! We had a few more arguments, but by then, the cats also had learned not to be out during the day. They saved all their antics for the night-time when Hubs got home.
I had cats when I was in high school, but as soon as their hair was all over my room....I locked them out. I have hair issues. My husband will attest to this. As will quite a few members of my family! If I find a hair in food, I literally want to gag and lose my appetite. I remember finding a hair in my McDonald's Egg McMuffin once before Hubs and I were married. I almost threw up in it. Hubs (who was a friend at the time) went all the way back to get me another one...and I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I got so used to cleaning up the kitchen immediately after we ate, that I still do that...even though they've been living in the garage for five months. They went out there because one of them started spraying. Thankfully, it was in the bathroom and easy to clean...but WOW! it stunk! We found out he had an infection and changed his food and gave him antibiotics and he's better now but since we knew we'd be renting out our house, we're desperately trying to keep 'cat business' out of it, in case a potential renter is allergic.
So, the biggest question that has been asked by my family about our move? What's gonna happen with the cats? I'm dreading moving for that one reason. I have been spoiled the last five months and know that it's short-lived. Bleh.
I think we have definitely learned our lesson with animals, though. We did euthanize one dog because of a nasty temper before Noah was born, but by then, we had another dog to keep him company. She's sweet, but she's a digger. Living next door to a neighbor with chickens proved disastrous...for the chickens. She lives with Grammy now and I'm not sure, even when we move, if Grammy would 'give her up' nor if we want her to. Once these kitties pass, I think we're done with animals. We tried, we failed. Alright, I failed. It's a character flaw that I get overwhelmed and then burst...usually Hubs gets the brunt end of it. Poor Hubs. But with four young kids too young to help out, it gets overwhelming.
There.
I.
Said.
It.
It's hard to have the house the way that makes me comfortable with them around and it puts me in a bad mood! Now, do you understand? Do you see? Or am I still the Wicked Witch of the West? I'm sure the cats think so!
Anyway...I know, silly things to get upset about, but they matter to me. I guess we all have our 'issues' huh? (This is where you all nod your head in agreement.)
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I am NOT a cat fan. I have told the kids for years that I am allergic to them. Savannah figured it out that it might not be the entire truth. I really just cannot stomach the messes. We have tried two dogs, both moved to Grandma Laurie's. We currently have a low maintenence hermit crab. It suits us just fine. I say no to the cats. xoxo
LOL! Thanks, Mich! I feel like such an animal hater...but I really just don't want them in MY house!
Maybe you'll get lucky when you move and the cats wont like your new house and maybe, just maybe, they will wander off in search of "home" and some sweet cat loving grandma (or little girl, mom, grandpa, etc) will find them, take them in and love them... and their hair. One can hope!
I have no other comment except to say......I hear ya sister!
I totally understand where you are coming from with the cat situation! I feel like I can never get our house cleaned good enough or hair free either.....it's neverending! My hubby just agreed with me on getting rid of our two cats, YEAH!!!!! So, now I am looking for a good home, but hubby wants them to stay with eachother so that may be hard to find someone who wants two cats. We will see how long it takes to get rid of them :)
For me you didn't even need to explain. I do hate cats. I hate their hair, I hate their claws, I hate their smell and I specially hate how they make me sneeze non-stop.
LiƩge
The best cat is an outside cat that you can say hello to when you get home, keeps the area close to the house mouse and snake free, and does all their business outside. It has to be friendly to kids and tolerant of the dogs that try to get it to run and play tag. Inside cats also cause me to have asthma and itchy eyes. Way to stand up for your health : )
Post a Comment