Thursday, December 11, 2008

Toot, toot!

As in...tutorial!

K...now that my kids are home and lunch is cookin' here it be:

You'll need two pieces of fabric about 4x5" (depending how big or little you want your letters to be) and a quilting pen.



Draw your letter on one piece of fabric.



Put the two pieces of fabric together (wrong sides together) and cut it out. Then sew the outside. (I leave about 1/8" around the outside).



Make sure to leave holes for stuffing with batting. (See where my fingers are?) And I highly suggest reverse stitches at each side of the opening since you will be kind of stressing the fabric when you stuff it.



Stuff your letter. I use the screwdriver that came with my sewing machine. Stuff until your little heart's content (but not too much because it may pull your stitching).




When you're done stuffing, finish off your unfinished edges (the holes where you stuffed). Then, use an no-fray liquid on the outside of your letter so your fabric won't fray. If some of it frayed already, just clean cut it and add the no-fray.



The next step, I use a large needle intended for yarn to thread my ribbon and pull it through the back of the letter. Where you thread it will determine how you want it to sit on the thread, so I'd test it first. If you can't get the thread through the fabric, cut the hole a little bigger than the needle makes to get it through. You can keep it from ripping further by using your no-fray on the holes.



Make sure to have a long enough ribbon that it will fit all your letters. I add jingle bells to them, but you can add any embellishment. Then, you just loop the end of the fabric and knot it for your hangers. I also no-fray the knot and the end of the ribbon. Wah-lah!

I don't cut out the little holes (like the middle of the 'a' but you could if you wanted!).

And now my kids are done eating...time to get them ready for naps! (Someone has poo and no one's fessin' up!!)

8 comments:

Brooke said...

or as in...your own horn...at least that what I was expecting! : ) Great tutorial. I much appreciate it! And the new "santa" is VERY cute, but I love mine. : )

Sara said...

Thanks Carrie! I need to get my sewing machine fixed. I miss sewing projects like this.

Cindy said...

iS THIS WHAT YOUR ORNAMENT WAS ON tUESDAY? vERY CUTE! i HEARD IT WAS THE FIRST FROZEN. sURE WISH i WAS IN THE MIX ON ALL THE GOODNESS. nOW i HAVE TO GO TO jOaNN'S BEFORE THE KIDS WAKE UP AND g'S MOVIE IS STILL PLAYING. Who hit the caps lock on my keyboard??? Sorry I just realized it and I'm not going back to fix it. Besides...it spices things up a bit. Sorry for the loud type. Much love!

Amber C. said...

Loved your ornament! Thanks for the instructions on how to make it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!! I can't wait to get started!! I just LOVE it...ohh, I could spell all kinds of things like my kids names. Or my neices and nephews names and wrap them up and give them as gifts. Ok, gotta go now. Projects are calling. Thanks again Carrie!!

MamaLieder said...

By the way you were 23 when you got married....

Ann-Marie said...

Hmm...you lost me at quilting pen. Seriously, I will never make these because I might injure myself doing it, but you are one AWESOME lady for making them and showing us that it, indeed, can be done.

Beck said...

tried to leave a comment earlier, but hey, not only am I sewing challenged, I am also apparently more computer challenged than I thought. Shhhh don't tell anyone. Anyway - Carrie you go ahead and toot, I'll go buy one, cause there is no way I can get over my sewing issues with a broken sewing machine!!! :)