Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Kids and their logic

Last night, Nic went to our Precept Bible study class while I stayed home with the kiddos. Our bedtime book for last night was a Donald Duck story about how Chip and Dale steal his miniature boat that he made to sail across the lake to a big acorn tree to collect acorns. After Donald trying to sidetrack them by filling their boat with water, he decides that he'll just wait and see what they are going to do with the boat before he gets more frustrated about it. At the end of the story, the chipmunks climb the tree, get their acorns, and then do the right thing and put Donald's boat back where they found it. Now, you'd think this would spark a whole bunch of conversations about stealing, asking before you take something that is not yours, and making things right by putting it back exactly where you found it. But no...not my kid.
This book sparked the following conversation between Noah and I:

Noah: Mommy, do chipmunks have a long tail?
Me: No, they have short tails, see?
Noah: Oh. (quiet for a couple seconds, clearly thinking) Why do they have short tails?
Me: Because that's the way God made them, honey.
Noah: Oh.
Me: If they had long tails, they would look like squirrels, wouldn't they?
Noah: Yeah, they would. (more thinking) Why do squirrels have long tails?
Me: So that they have good balance when they climb up so high in trees. Their long tails keep them from falling off.
(Now, this is where kid logic is at its best!)
Noah: So, chipmunks like falling out of trees?

Hhhhmmmm.....

And then, this morning, Luke comes up to Nic (who is still in bed) and tells him: Daddy, I'm alright with my head.
(good thing, 'cause you're kind of stuck with the head God gave ya).
Dad: You're alright with your head?
Luke: Yeah, I tried to miss the wall, but I didn't. But I'm alright with my head.

Ok, buddy.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

LOLOLOL!!! Awesome! Kids truly say the darndest things!
By the way...Lil has been asking about every 4 hours for the last 2 weeks when she's gonna see Noah, oh, and told Kevin and I last night, "When Noah and I get bigger, we'll have 'couch time' together." Seriously, this girl and her future daydreams! Can't we talk about chipmunks falling off trees instead?!?!

RenderingRisch said...

lol. love it. way to maintain composure.