Friday, January 23, 2009

You know you have a best friend when:

She gets just as excited about your kids as you do! She even goes so far as to post about it on her blog!

Which led me to thinkin'. I know...I do it a lot, but it's because I need the practice. (WARNING! What you are about to read is extremely sappy. Viewer discretion is advised.)

I have been very blessed with three very close friends.

My sister came built-in and I love that! We can talk and talk and talk and talk (almost every day)...and she totally understands and shares in my obsessions and doesn't bat an eye when I cuss accidentally, or on purpose, I guess (hey! It was a quote, ok???). And boy! Can she tell it like it is! Just another thing I love about her! We can be apart and be good with just talking on the phone...but when we get together under the same roof, people better watch out! We are an 'off-the-cuff' comedy act! Bring your dollar bills...'cause we ain't too proud to take tips! Margaritas? Anyone? And the best times are late, late nights when we get to watch bad (BAD) shows like The Tudors (obsession inserted here) and then have a really good conversation about the Lord after. We go together pretty darn well. She is tequila to my mix. Really. Jose Quervo has nothin' on her.

And no, I don't have a drinking problem. (But she does have a margarita machine that comes in handy sometimes.)

Adding to another 'built-in' was when my brother-in-law got married. Slowly, but surely (alright it happened pretty fast!) Brooke and I worked ourselves into a best-friendship. Hey...we're married to (technically) the same DNA that has been worked out in completely the same (but not the same) ways! We both stay home, we have kids the same age (although we have two more, but who's counting?), we like to sew together, we do MOPS together. It helps that our husbands really (REALLY) like each other. And most of the time, when we get really mad at our other halves, the other one can TOTALLY relate. She can call and tell I'm P.O.'d about something and not automatically think it's her. She bows out of THAT phone conversation gracefully and patiently waits for me to spill my beans. Which, I always do. We are the perfect compliment to each other. Like peanut butter and chocolate.

And then...there's Shea. How can you describe a best friend in a four letter word? Shea. She LIVED with me and still loves me! How is that possible? Everyone said, "Don't move in together. You'll end up hating each other!" Um...wrong-o. Living with Shea only made me realize how UN-ready for marriage I was at the time and then grew me into a woman who was ready to take the plunge. We've shared memories and strengthened each other through frantically searching for our husbands that we never really 'found' but who God just 'gave' to us (let that be a lesson to you singles out there!). And even though we have different worlds now, we still find a way to meet in the middle. We go together like peaches and cream. Sweet and smooth...and sometimes, seasonal! And it's almost her birthday! :)

Bottom line is this: They get me. They like me. I'll even venture to say that they willingly LOVE me, even after getting to know me. You can't buy friendships like this. These are God's gifts to a woman's desire for fellowship with someone who isn't going to judge or condemn. They all help gently nudge me towards my ultimate goal of Proverbs 31 while absolutely letting me be myself. There just aren't enough words for friends like that!

Ok...sappy is over. But I really do love my friends!

7 comments:

Jonna said...

That was very touching. I'm sure they feel equally lucky to have you.

MamaLieder said...

I love you too! Still my best. Thank you for giving into the sap. I love the memories...love the stories...love that we can still be Shea and Carrie...love that we will always be.

Heather Rodriguez said...

That is very cool that you not only have a bestie, but THREE!! Praise God for girl friends!!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Gotta love friends and family. I wish I was close to my sister like you describe. You are blessed.

Ann-Marie said...

That's wonderful. Best friends are a blessing. I'm also pleased to know that someone else watches The Tudors. :)

Brooke said...

sniff, sniff, sniff....how could you post something like this and not warn me! you know how sensitive I am!!! i love you more. that's all i can say! : ))) oh, and of course, peanut butter and chocolate! perfect!

Beck said...

Ok, seriously....are you kidding? Get your hormones in check girlfriend!!! Ha Ha! J/K - I love, love, love how close we have grown over the last, ehem...20 or so years! You are certaintly, first and foremost in my circle of friends and I know you always will be....much love to you! B:)