I just read an interesting post on Myspace from a home-schooler who praised the fact that she home-schooled her kids with statistics showing that home-schooled kids have a better chance of serving the Lord. I don't question her statistics, but I do wonder what is considered, by those who did the study, what makes a Christian. If it ended with a whole bunch of luke-warm kids who knew all the right answers, but had no heart, then no thank you. BUT, if it ended with adults truly walking with God, then maybe it's something to be considered. Do you protect your kids for a time in school and then hope they can cope with the falsehoods they'll hear later because they have a firm foundation? And is it THEIR foundation, or simply one they think they have because it's what they've been given with no enlightenment to a world who doesn't believe as they do? How can you know you have a firm foundation if it's never been shaken?
Knowing that Nic and I are still in limbo with what to do with our kids when school comes into the picture, I thought about what Jesus would do if He had kids (and no, I'm not implying that the Holy Grail was actually His child). I'm interested to hear your opinions on this matter...
The Options are:
A. Buck the system and teach them a trade at home in sticking with Jewish culture (in this case, carpentry). (Our equivalent of course, would be home-schooling)
B. Put them in a private school and keep them away from a world that could influence them in a negative manner, protecting their innocence.
C. Put them smack dab in the middle of controversy and contrary teachings that He could refute at home (while standing on the corner of the school parking lot teaching that He is The Way).
Or...option D...which is a fill-in.
What do you think He would do? And yes, I'm half serious. And no, I'm not implying that just because you home-school or private school your kids that they are immediately protected from all falsehoods, but I've yet to hear of a Christian home-schooling group who willingly accept non-Christians into their play dates or rotations to expose their kids to other opinions. Are there assemblies where a private school is willing to have an atheist or buddhist come and talk about what they believe in order to encourage critical thinking that leads you back to why you believe in God and Jesus? I've never heard of it, but please correct me if I'm wrong (I never went to private school). In MY opinion, reading that some people are atheist and don't believe in God is not nearly as powerful as actually hearing someone say that they don't. I've experienced that first-hand and was so moved by the lack of faith and belief that I cried the whole time I heard him speak (and that was just six months ago). Don't get the idea that I'm pro public school either...it comes with it's own set of issues. I just think, as Christians, there is a lot of pressure to home-school or private school and so I'm wondering if we're doing ourselves a dis-service...and the world a dis-service by taking the last bit of God that's allowed in school out of school when we take our kids who know Jesus away from those who don't. BUT, are they equipped to handle that? I simply don't know how I feel, which is why I'm asking.
So...lay your opinions on me...'cause I know you've got them.
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You just couldn't resist, could you? I think the question isn't what would He do, it's what does He want US to do.
Post a Comment