Monday, October 6, 2008

I've been gone

My grandma passed away on Saturday morning. She was a wife of 59 years, mother of nine (yes, NINE!), and grandma and great-grandma to a countless others. I had the privilage of spending about 3 weeks with her and Grandpa when I was younger and I still remember eating cantalope, eating peas (yuck!), playing pool, playing cards, and doing puzzles. I also remember her commenting (a number of times) on my close pregnancies and reminding me that if I did not slow down, I was gonna end up like Grandma. :) Rest assured, Grandma, this is the last one for me.

We'll all miss her in our own ways, but it really is times like these where you are so thankful that we don't mourn like the world mourns. We have a greater hope. The Bible says that to be absent from the body means to be in the presence of the Lord. (2 Cor. 5:8) Her body was made whole from the three cancers and she has been healed and is in the presence of the God who created her, knit her together in her mother's womb, breathed life into her, designed her life, went before her and prepared her good works for her to do, and who knew when her spirit would be given up to Him. These are peaceful things that give us a greater hope than what the world knows of death. Death is not the end for Grandma...but the beginning of an eternity spent with God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your grandmothers passing. My prayers are with you & your family.
Julie Magsig

Jonna said...

I cannot believe how you put that into words and what wonderful uplifting thoughts on your grandma's passing. Nine kids, she must have been pretty amazing.